Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Burned Hand Teaches Best

State legislative candidate Amy Biviano is slamming a "partisan agenda-driven website" for revealing she posed for Playboy while attending Yale University in 1995.
Biviano, a Democrat challenging Republican Rep. Matt Shea for the 4th District House of Representatives seat, said she doesn't regret posing for that photo, which was featured in a "Women of the Ivy League" pictorial while she was attending Yale.
The topless photo was revealed Friday by a conservative website called Western Center for Journalism, which claimed that Biviano, a wife, mother and Sunday School teacher, has seen her campaign against Shea "rocked" by the revelation of her appearance in Playboy 17 years ago.
 
Here's the thing.  This is a great example of someone taking an action that really didn't take into account her future.  She showed her hooters (and perhaps a little more) and showed poor judgement as to how that might reflect upon her down the road of life.  Want proof?
 
A partisan, agenda-driven website has "broken" the story that when I was a 20 year old student at Yale University, I appeared in Playboy Magazine's "Women of the Ivy League." People have asked me how I feel about this decision now, as a 37 year old wife, mother, and political candidate. My answer is that while I would not do the same thing now, this is not something that I made any attempt to hide. I haven't brought it up in the context of this race because it has no bearing on issues in the 4th legislative district nor the person I am today.

I also stand by my character and fitness for public office. In fact, I would be happy to make character a centerpiece of this campaign. I learned a lot from my college experiences. Since then, I have gone on to build an extremely happy marriage of fifteen years, have been blessed with amazing children, have been active in my church, and have worked and volunteered to help my community while living with a disability.

 
And yet...she admits to a lack of judgement at the time of the decision.  She admits that she wouldn't do it again.  Everyone makes mistakes...blah, blah, blah.  Call me a sexist if you want to, but this is no different from planting a tattoo on your forehead in your youth and wondering why everyone thinks you lack good judgement in your adulthood.   Last I checked, age 20 is adulthood (with the exception consumption of alcohol). 

There are repercussions for actions.  At least, there should be.  The same mentality that lets  Ms. Biviano off the hook for her decisions gets applied elsewhere.  General Motors drives their business into the ground, the Federal Government will bail them out.  No repercussions.  AIG takes a stock nosedive, they get bailed out.  No lesson learned.  This is no way to run a country, much less a business, or a life.  You have to fail, to learn, grasshopper.  The burned hand teaches best.

No comments:

Post a Comment